View Single Post
Old 10/30/2006, 11:14 PM
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 2639
I need to do some reasearch on what corals are best to place directly on the sand. Does anyone know of a 'list' that I can read? I'm still a newbie when it comes to coral placement.
I'm not aware of any list, but if you're interested in a particular coral, just read about it either here on RC or another online source, or look it up in any of the many available coral books (such as Borneman's, Veron's, Delbeek/Sprung, et al.). Just be sure to read up on it before making a purchase, as this will save you from a lot of worry, as well as increase your chance of keeping it alive. Other things to research with regard to coral placement include flow and light availability, as well as nutritional requirements, and all of these have to be taken into consideration.

Bax - You're obviously having more success with lettuce nudibranchs than I had. Of course I am a little handicapped with my HOB overflow . I hope they're making a dent in your algae.

bcoons - Funny you should mention it, but yes I have considered this a good opportunity to upgrade some things. Of course this will depend on fulfilling some holiday wishes. I really want to get rid of the loc-line returns for 2 reasons. First, it's 3/4" diameter, and second, there's a substantial amount of salt creep through the individual pieces. I could solve both of these problems, and increase flow, by upgrading to OceansMotions OmniFlex nozzles. I have 1 on my sump return line, and it's been great. The second thing I want to do, also to improve flow, is to get rid of the MaxiJet in the tank and replace it with a Tunze Nanostream. These won't be available until the end of the year, but I have time since I won't be able to return my SPS to the tank for at least another 9-10 weeks. Having the corals out won't matter for this next item, but I'm also thinking about replacing my Remora skimmer for a Deltec HOB skimmer that just came out. As far as the aquascape, I think I'd like to keep it as is - thedude and I did pretty well the first time out, and I don't want to ruin it.