View Single Post
Old 12/14/2007, 09:39 PM
Registered Member

Nanokiper 30 gallon LPS-SPS tank

I am honored to present my 30 gallon tank (April’s nTOTM) and share it with aquarist all around the world. The tank is a 30 gallon AGA with twin overflows. One overflow is piped to deliver water to the tank’s evaporative cooler which then exits to flow over my fuge. The second overflow delivers water into the skimmer and has a ball valve fitted to control the flow rate of water going to the remote deep sand bed then finally exit to the sump. Planning and fabricating tanks equipments boost my interest in the hobby. I built my own counter current monster skimmer, kalkwasser reactor with RO water auto top off, and evaporative cooler. I am fascinated with my corals thriving and seeing my DIY’s working and doing their job. Tank lightings consists of 2- 10000K Sunpro T5, 2- Bluepro T5, and 6500K Midday T5. All T5 lamps are provided with parabolic reflectors. One of the problems of a nano tank is lighting (watts per gallon) especially that I am keeping light demanding SPS corals. I am limited to five T5s due to space limitation of the hood. The 6500K Midday T5 is overdriven to increase photosynthetic effect of the lamp. Though light combination does not have a good color balance of blue and white, the two suns and midday lamps will be lit first for the first 8 hours providing the photosynthetic needs of corals then the midday will be shut off once the blue pro has been turned on during the 4 hour viewing time. Water circulation in the display tank is provided by closed loop manifold piping system driven by Resun pump (2800 liters/ hr). The manifold piping has two suction ports located few inches above the DSB of the main tank, exhaust ports are directed to the top portion of the tank to create water turbulence. Water from the sump is returned to the display tank by Resun (2800 liters/ hr) external pump.

I got collections of acanthastrea corals, I placed them in the right and left side of the tank since they don’t require intense lightings. These are the tank’s part that have no direct lighting because T5 bulbs are shorter than the tank’s hood. Other corals are acropora, poccillopora, porites, seriatopora, branching montipora digitata, various montipora capricornis, turbinaria peltata, acanthestrea lordwensis, acanthestrea echinata, blastomussa, clavularia, and photosynthetic gorgonians. SPS husbandry seemed to be a dream turned reality here in the Philippines, the group’s effort through discussion has provided me access to this wealth of information and helped to minimize pitfalls of a new reef keeper.

Full tank shot

Top left angle

Full set up

Close up shuts of acanthastrea lordwensis

Clam and different variety of acropora

For more information of my tank, please visit this website
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1115700
DIY full auto controller- cooling fans and lights
DIY cc skimmer, 3’ high 4” dia.
DIY auto top off
DIY kalk reactor
DIY cooler- drip type with pads