View Single Post
Old 11/29/2007, 09:47 PM
RC Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by Caryliss
Allergies are possible but not the first thing I would think of in a 13 yr old dog. A foreign body is definitely possible. I would also worry about a tumor, especially in a older large/long-nosed breed dog (they are more prone to nasal tumors). There is also a nasal mite (Pneumonyssoides caninum) that is probably more common than we realize--response to treatment (ivermectin injection) is diagnostic.
Is the ivermectin dose similar to what they would something like Heartgard? She is on that orally (we recently gave her the last dose for the year). I know you mentioned injection, but I would think that the oral treatment would help some.

We are definitely worried about a tumor. She has had mast cell tumors in the past, but thankfully, at the time, she was so obese that they were able to take huge margins around them, and she's been clean for several years.

Quote:
How are her teeth? Dental disease (oronasal fistulas) can also cause sneezing. [/B]
Not great.
The week after we adopted her we had to have two rotten teeth removed. She had two more removed about a year after that. Thankfully, none have had to be pulled since then, and a few weeks ago the vet thought they looked OK. The problem teeth have all been lower jaw; and each time her breath made it very, very clear that there was a problem.

Dave