View Single Post
Old 12/30/2007, 12:21 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bigScott
ive used many different type of lights on my cheato..i found no matter what lights i used it grew faster with water flo more air flo..its gone from a dark green to a light green in less than a week.. an i dont run a skimmer ..its in a 40 long sump..with 2 forty breeders on top..it runs for 12 hours a day..hope that helps..

scott
Yep, this is certainly true, more flow=> less boundary layers and you should get better growth (well, up to point).
Aeration breaks up the boundary layers and adds CO2 for the weed to grow.

The stickyness adhesion from small micro bubbles and high current wave action blast off many smaller noxious pest algae also.

Some folks run their skimmer outflow in the fuge, some do the post skimmer fuge, I like the aeration and mist effects in the fuges no matter what, you can likely use less flow and get the same results, perhaps better, with aeration or skimmer outflow.

Most all algae/plants(at least the types we keep), will adapt over a wide range of PAR, your "wimpy" coral types may not however. So light is really a question of intensity/PAR, not color type. Given a month or so, most will alll be adapted very well to what ever is provided.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr