View Single Post
Old 08/18/2004, 01:07 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hillrc91
DonJasper:

I think I've gotten all the answers that I need... Perhaps my DSB will crash someday ---But not today... My nitrates dropped another 4ppm when I tested yesterday.
PS: Uh oh - you messed up big time guy. No numbers allowed in reef keeping debates. My theory? Too many scientists and not enough engineers!

The only way this doesn't become an engineering problem is if becomes necessary that a DSB must 'crash'. No one seems to want to claim that. So near as I can figure is that reef tanks with DSB's run by untrained amateur operators sometimes have DSB problems. And we’re left guessing what the risks are.

And that I guess, despite my initial skepticism, it is (for all practical purposes) an untestable hypothesis.

I like the idea of a multi-year 'DSB crash'. Since Randy likes dictionaries:
Main Entry: 1crash
Pronunciation: 'krash
Function: verb
Etymology: Middle English crasschen
transitive senses
1 a : to break violently and noisily : SMASH b : to damage (an airplane) in landing
2 a : to cause to make a loud noise b : to force (as one's way) through with loud crashing noises
3 : to enter or attend without invitation or without paying
intransitive senses
1 a : to break or go to pieces with or as if with violence and noise b : to fall, land, or hit with destructive force c : to decline suddenly and steeply d of a computer system or program : to suffer a sudden major failure usually with attendant loss of data
2 : to make a smashing noise
3 : to move or force one's way with or as if with a crash
4 slang : to experience the aftereffects (as dysphoria or depression) of drug intoxication
5 slang : to go to bed or fall asleep; also : to reside temporarily