View Single Post
Old 01/09/2008, 01:56 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Volkman
My Bangaii released 5 fry 4 days ago and hasn't done anything since. His mouth doesn't look entirely huge (like it did before), but he is also not eating. I have him in a breeders net hoping hill spit out some more, but I'm getting worried about him. I'm wondering if the breeders net is stressing him out so that he's not eating. He's been "pregnant" for a total of 24 days. I tried to chase him around the net yesterday, enticing him to spit, but no go. How did you "strip" him and do you guys think I need to?
If by "pregnant" you mean your Banggais spawned 24 days ago, then no, IMO you should not try to 'strip' him just yet. With my first brood my male held to 30 days past spawn date. If he is not eating he very likely has more fry. If you get to 30 days and no change then catch him and see if he has any more to let go...

When he released the first 5 were they fully formed and swimming, and actively looking for food - or did they still have yolk sacs and kind of lay around the bottom of the net? My male let go of 4 babies around day 21 but they were not fully formed, and could not swim freely - and did not survive more than another day or 2. My understanding and experience is that full-term fry should have no visible sac, be fully formed, and ready to eat within minutes of release

If you have the male in a breeders net along with the 5 fry, and he is not viewing them as "food" by now than I would bet he is still holding. After my male released all of the first brood he was looking to eat within the hour afterwards...

P.S. Hello Dr. Marini
modded CSS220 Skimmer
165 lb LR / 3/4" full Plenum / 5" DSB