View Single Post
Old 01/07/2008, 05:01 PM
Catch and release

Many people have reported dosing just once and not getting rid of the bugs altogether. The bugs that survive will be more resistant and the bugs those bugs produce will also likely carry a gene that will make them more resistant. Then you dose again several months later and the bugs that survive that treatment will be more resistant once again. That's the premise behind what I said.
This is generally a premise used with bacteria and antibiotics and admittedly bacteria reproduce very fast and have a much greater chance of making rapid changes in the gene pool but it can presumably also happen with just about anything that has a fairly short reproductive life cycle.
I have seen several reports of people treating lately and the treatment not working as reliably as it used to. There was even speculation a few years ago that red bugs were already becoming resistant to Interceptor.
This is nothing I can back up with any sort of relevant data, just observations of threads like these. Failures in treatments could just as likely be human error or any number of things.
It was and is still is my fear however that out of laziness and not treating three times we would render a very effective method of treating red bugs not as useful as it once was. Hopefully that won't happen but IMO it's very possible it will over time.
Chris