View Single Post
Old 01/10/2008, 10:02 PM
Premium Member

If you want a thread to get attention and meaningful replies, my advice is to:

1) Make sure the title actually says what the thread is about. I seldom read threads with titles like 'help' or 'what should I do?' or 'my setup'. I will open threads that say 'help with hair algae issue' or 'my pump stopped, what should I do?' or 'please critique my setup, I'm ordering equipment tomorrow'

2) Take the time to edit your post, and be polite. Correct spelling and punctuation mistakes, and avoid short forms like 'u' instead of 'you' -- you're not texting a close friend, you're asking for help on a board full of people you essentially don't know, so pretend you're talking to your grandmother -- keep slang to a minimum, no swearing etc.

3) If you're looking for an ID, include decent pictures. A fuzzy blob that could be anything from a fish to a rock is no better than a badly worded written description when it comes to identifying a random critter from the ocean. If your question is about a disease or tank crash, include all your water test results and tank information, as well as anything you did that may have caused the incident -- don't worry about being judged when the health of your livestock is at stake, we've all made mistakes.

Hope that helps