View Single Post
Old 05/19/2005, 03:01 PM
I'll take SWords for $500

Man, sorry for the lack of updates - actually, didnt think anyone was taggin along anymore.

Here's where I am:

- I think I have the plans finalized for the new system, for the most part. Need to have my contractor come over and spec some things out based on the latest plans above.

- my fish are still sitting in my 20g glass tank b/c I havent had a chance to fully test the 75 to see if its really leaking. hopefully i can do this tonight.

- a new house, a birthday for my wife, and an anniversary have thrown me off for a bit. but I gotta get these fish out of the 20g.

- i'm planning, if/when I get the 75g up and running, to run it barebottom and also to scrub the LR clean and rinse any lose detritus from it. is this a bad idea? might cause a mini-cycle?

qwuintus, some feedback...

You might be able to salvage the 75g, how bad is the damage?
- not sure yet. i am hoping to salvage and maybe there is no leak at all.

My thoughts:

1. Drill the damn tank!!

- never done this and dont know a place to get it done. but, ok, maybe i should.

2. Use an external pump for the return
- why? thought about this and really the main benefit is to save on heat output in the water? my insump Mag18 has been doing the job fine so far. and i dont need super flow since i'm going to have TUnze Streams in the tank. Have decided against a closed loop. So why else should I go external?

1000 on T5's?? Go grab 2-3 250-400w MH.
if your low on funds, build them yourself or just get 2 since you want softies anyway. And if you ever decide to go sps or something you wont have to ditch your t5's and regret putting money into them.

- this was my biggest decision. primarily i decided against the MH b/c of the incredible heat output compared to T5s and also the maintenance costs. I played it out over the next two years and its more than double the maintenance cost of replacing the bulbs and also the electricity. i know i lose the flexibility on what i can keep in the long run, but that was the only minus to getting the T5s.

maybe use a smaller tank for the sump/skimmer and use the 75g for a fuge.
- good point. i can surely do that. my main reason for using the 75g was to give me plenty of room for overflow in case of problems and also to help eliminate the microbubbles even more. i currently have a 20g sump and, even with 3 baffles, still have a good amount of microbubbles. Hoping the 75 will give me more room to diffuse. I WAS thinking of also partitioning off the 75 sump to include the fuge right in it. BUT, I'm still open to anything and everything!