View Single Post
Old 11/29/2007, 04:00 PM
El Jefe de WRS

Quote:
Originally posted by Lumamae
On HOB, when I see it, I'll believe it. Haven't come across any that doesn't have it challenges with performance. I would prefer that will fit a standard filter slot on acrylic tanks because we know glass tanks won't have any restrictions.
Thats where I saw room for improvement... there isnt any really good competition out there. The only good models are the Bermuda, which is w/o pump, $300, and a venturi driven, and then the Deltecs... perhaps only 'good' because its made by a good company, although the MCE's are not like the rest. I think they are popular because no other high-end company makes HOB's.

No BK, no H&S, no ATI, no nothing... so to make a performance based HOB would really be filling a demand that has never been met.

Your note on acrylic tanks is noted. As it turns out with this design, a slight pipe modification on the inlet/outlet would allow for parimeter braced tanks like acrylics and Euro-braced ones.

Anton does want to make it though. When I sent him a diagram of how to do it... I got a response right away.

It really comes down to seeing if people would prefer a 4.5" deep skimmer that is square, or one that is narrower (like 3-3.5") and wider.

The way I designed the skimmer though, the entire guts of the skimmer can be removed... pump, cone, cup, bubble plate... without having to drain or remove the HOB chamber. Everything lifts out w/o water. When I think back to HOB's I have used, that was always the biggest chore when cleaning, and the biggest mess... having to lift the whole thing off, spilling water everywhere, dumping its contents, and then having to refill it when hooking it back up.