View Single Post
Old 12/12/2007, 09:04 PM
Registered Member

Not on 6 bulbs. The fixtire is 12" wide. The Icecap reflectors are 2 1/2" wide each. Plus, there has got to be about an inch of fixture on both front and back beyond the outside bulbs. So, they have 6 bulbs in probably 10" of space. At the most, you could get 4 IceCap reflectors in there and you would either have to relocate the sockets to do it or put an SLR on every other bulb so you would only get 3 in there. The original Nova Extreme 8 bulbs units were 14" wide, so maybe 12" of space for bulbs. You could maybe get 5 in that one if you could overlap the reflectors a little bit. Probably be better off with the original Nova and then using 5 or possibly 6 of the Hello Lights generic reflectors which are only 2" wide each. But you would still have to move endcaps. And then, I dont know if the cover will fit with the individual reflectors and the endcaps are not waterproof. May be better off just skipping the shield and wiring in all new waterproof endcaps if one were to try and convert a Nova.

I will say one thing though ... if you had an 8 bulb Nova extreme and only were able to get 4 SLR's in it, I think you would have as much or more light with the 8 bulb Nova. There still havent been any tests specifically on the NOVA Extreme comparing it with individual reflectors. I have owned both and I just dont think that 4 bulbs under SLR's is quite as bright as an 8 bulb Nova Extreme. Again, that's by my eyes which is not a good way at all to judge par. But I have to believe my eyes over the word of those who have never owned the fixture and can only spout theory. I think it's close and I think that 5 individual reflectors wins but 4 ... it's close but the 8 bulb Extreme looked brighter to me. Same bulbs in same proportion. I believe I used Blue + and 10000K 1:1 to compare. So, I wouldnt even bother anyway, even if I thought it was worth the effort, if I couldnt get 5 reflectors in there. You would get better depth penetration though, whether it wasnt as bright overall or was just as bright or whatever .... So in that regard, with a deeper tank, maybe it would be worth it even if you couldnt get enough in there to be "brighter" overall.

I certainly wouldnt buy a new Nova to try it. Maybe if you already had one and definitely needed more light and could get atleast 1/2 the bulbs as the stock fixture holds and preferably 1/2 + 1.