View Single Post
Old 12/07/2007, 01:33 PM
Catch and release

The water problems in Atlanta are related to their being reliant on one water source (Lake Lanier) and unchecked growth. It would seem that city planners and developers are to blame for that.

As far as quarantining a whale shark I personally don't have any revolutionary ideas on that. The point still stands that a basic concept with the health of animals in our care, whether it be in a zoo, aquarium or wherever is that one ALWAYS quarantines.
I imagine not quarantining the sharks was a matter of money because of the huge space required and the aquarium choose to take that risk (you can correct me if I am wrong SShindell). The Ga Aquarium still choose to try and keep those animals.
When one takes a risk like that in a public setting on a large scale and the consequences are not good one should be willing to accept a certain amount of criticism. Is some (most?) of the criticism based more on emotion and unfair? Sure it is. That being said IMO some criticisms are valid and well considered.
I will state once again the Ga Aquarium seems like a place with a great deal of potential and hopefully over the years some of the problems it has had in it's infancy can be worked out. I know I will personally go back when I have the time and I expect things will be improved upon from my last visit

Chris

Last edited by fishdoc11; 12/07/2007 at 01:39 PM.