View Single Post
Old 08/09/2006, 07:59 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rhiggsbear
Generally, a deposit is fully refundable if the seller does not having any monetary damages due to the buyer backing out of the deal. For example, if a seller listed an item for $300.00 and you gave him a $50.00 deposit, then decides to back out of the deal, he can keep all or a portion of the deposit to make up for any out-of-pocket costs. This would include additional advertising costs over and above what he already spent or if he ended up selling the item for less than the $300.00. He can not profit from keeping the deposit – make more money than what he would have got selling the item at full cost.

Keep in mind I am not addressing a "non-refundable deposit" as I do not believe this is what we have here in this case.

The seller should return 100% of the deposit if he was able to sell the tank for full price and did not incur any additional costs doing so. If this went to small claims court, the buyer would prevail.
That's true. Of course Krazy wouldn't show up since he can't get a ride. A judge wouldn't give him a 3 week window and then stay home on a weekend because it's the only time he could show up. I don't even remember what the item was, but I'll buy it off you for $100 less just so you can keep the money if it ever goes to court. =)

I don't think the thread is a waste of time. Most people have been burned or at least inconvenienced by someone selling or buying over the internet. When I see someone like Krazy coming on here and posting all these warnings in caps across several threads and stalking the seller when, at best, he's equally at fault I think he deserves the criticism he's getting. I think most people reading this, even if they think he should get the $100 back, would never do business with him. When you put something up for sale you want to sell it, not go back and forth over 4 weeks and hear sob stories about why they can't come pick up the item or make the rest of the payment. I'm waiting on a Paypal refund right now from someone who put an item for sale, received the payment and when I was expecting the item to show up at my door get an email saying he plugged it in before mailing and it no longer worked so he was refunding my money. During this time another went for sale that I missed. One hasn't shown up since. So yea, Krazy gets some grief as a straw man for every botched internet transaction. That's what you get for coming on here and looking for sympathy.