View Single Post
Old 05/18/2004, 11:31 AM
Registered member

It was with a 7mm wetsuit, and it kept me considerably warm, but toward the very end of each dive I did get noticeably cold (avg. 25 min). It wasn't anything unbearable, but the divemaster and instructor both had drysuits and they were toasty the entire time.

If you plan to dive somewhat regularly, I would definitely go with a drysuit. You don't have to worry about getting cold which could be something that keeps you out of the water. Also, some of the best diving in the Sound is during the colder winter months because the water is so much clearer and vis is so much better (no plankton blooms during the winter to contend with). The water temps is still pretty steady, but the outside temps are going to be much cooler, so you wouldn't be all wet each time you get out.

At the location we were at, there were quite a few divers throughout the day. Only a few of them had wetsuits. I would recommend heading up and renting a wetsuit and just trying it out and see what you think. Try a couple dives (it was on the second one that I noticed the cold the most). But, even if you plan on just going out a couple times a year, it might be best to take a drysuit class and then just rent one. However, if you're just going out a couple times a year, it might be worth it to just "tough it out" with a wetsuit. It's hard to say.