View Single Post
Old 01/08/2008, 11:29 PM
Registered Member

The bumble bee and harlequin wont bother each other, the bumble bee is tiny compared, and even though the books say they eat starfish feet, I've never seen them with stars. I have seen many, and kept them, I live in S. FL where they are common. Mine only come out at night and the biggest female I've seen is 1/2 inch, I feed them bits of frozen mysis and other small dried foods.

I also keep harlequins, and collected them as well, the problem I see with your (and others) feeding only 1 leg at a time is that mine eat a full star every 7-10 days and even though thay can live (and many people have great success with this amount of food) in tanks with much less, in the wild I've never seen them without a star. IMO having food more often is more natural then a leg a week or a star a month. Also for most stars to regrow the leg takes a lot of food and good conditions to keep the star from getting an infection and dying.

I keep these shrimp with a pair of ghost shrimp, Stenopus pyrsonatus and the atlantic scarlet cleaner, Lysmata garbhami, as well as some sexy shrimp with no problems. As you can see, I like shrimp also, they are one of my favorite aquarium animals so good luck I hope this helped.