View Single Post
Old 07/03/2007, 10:38 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
It sure seems like all you see now are pics of tons of frag plugs at the bottom of a tank or frag racks packed to the gills. Pics of nice display tanks with colonies seem to be getting more and more rare around here.

It also seems like alot of people in this forum and in this thread lately only post/care about getting a eraser sized frag of the latest "hot/named" coral to sit in their frag rack until its big enough to re-frag.
It does seem that way these days, doesn't it? Personally, I like to buy frags b/c, as others have already mentioned, colonies are just too expensive. And I think there's a lot of satisfaction to be had in watching it grow over a couple of years. I'd rather have a really nice frag of something I like than a super expensive colony of the latest "hot" thing just because other people like it. But I put my frags in the tank where they can grow out and become part of the reef. I try to skip over the tank threads that look more like store sale tanks than nice displays. And there do seem to be way too many of those popping up all over the place.

Maybe someone can answer this for me: what is the point of putting frags in a frag rack instead of putting them in the rock work somewhere that they can grow out and become permanent? I could see if you have a tank full of stuff already and you don't want the frag to get lost. But I keep seeing these frag racks even in tanks that aren't full.