View Single Post
Old 08/04/2005, 01:37 AM
Moved On

Grim, not that I disagree, but I have noticed something and would like to make a hypothesis.

I dont think that its all about PAR. I have noticed that many corals develop better color under bluer bulbs...or that running a 10,000K alone doesnt always bring out the color or growth. I have had problems with 10,000Ks causing corals to 'brown out' from too much light...but I have yet to see a 20,000K that causes my corals to brown out & stunt growth. Why is it that if I run a tank with a 10,000K alone for 8 hours, my corals brown out, loose colors like blue & purple...yet if I limit it to 5 hours a day and run actinics 24hours a day they color in nicely?

From what I remember, PAR consists of a few spectrums in the blue and red spectrums. Plants and algae like the redder light...and corals seem to like the bluer. So it might be possible to have a bulb with lower overall PAR, yet more in the blue range than a higher overall rated bulb...Radiums anyone?

Just an idea. But I notice that 10,000Ks alone dont do it for me, even though they tend to have the highest PAR (well, besides a 6500K, but Im not going there).