View Single Post
Old 12/19/2005, 06:02 PM
Invertebrate Advocate

Here is my .02

I've found three things increase the growth of zoas in my tank:

1. Leaving them alone. zoas that are glued in place, or at least not moved around a lot, seem to grow a lot faster than ones moved around.

2. Keep them in moderate current and off the sandbed. Most of my zoas seem irritated by my sandbed. When they are moved up they tend to grow faster. (could be by reduced irritation or possibly higher intensity lighting from being higher).

3. Dirtier water and the right salt. I've had to stop feeding food to my tank for over 6 months now and my zoa growth has slowed substantially. There were three changes during this time: a new salt, no feeding except phytoplankton and my lights aging. I suppose it could be any of the three, but now that I switched back to Kent salt my zoas are open a LOT more and I've seen new growth while my bulbs are still aging and I'm still only feeding phytoplankton.

A lot of speculation I know, but that is what I've observed. It will be interesting to see what happens once I have a higher nutrient level when I start feeding the tank again.

Brian