View Single Post
Old 12/10/2007, 10:10 AM
Premium Member

Re: Pipefish in Active Reef Tank

Quote:
Originally posted by amcarrig
Hello there! It seems that I am losing the battle with bryopsis in my 20 year old 180 gallon sps dominated tank. However, rather than break it down completely, I'm contemplating doing away with the sps corals and keeping only my clams, LPS and soft corals (which seem to be resistant to the toxicity of the bryopsis). I have kept seahorses in the past and know that they require a low flow tank with peaceful tankmates but I'm wondering if the same applies for all species of pipe fish? I have a few tangs, a pair of percula clownfish, a pair of lyretail anthias, a banana wrasse, a blenny, a few dragonettes and a goby. I'd be able to get rid of the fish that I have if need be but would like to keep a few if possible. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks in advance!!!
Not to change topic but you might try elevating your Magnesium to 1600-1700 to kill off the Bryopsis. I too was having it take over my tank but in a very short period it started dying off after I got the mg up. I harvested the long fibers of the algea and the base was gone within two days. If you leave it alone and just elevate the mg, it takes a little longer but it turns clear and dies off. See the below thread. BTW, use Kent-M.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1113109