View Single Post
Old 02/08/2005, 12:24 PM
Moved On

I quit smoking when I became prego with my first son - but my husband still smokes and everyone EVERYONE in our family smokes.

smoking in the car - no Its too enclosed of a space - with 2 little ones in the back its just not happening in my car... if we are on extremely long trips we would take advantage of reststops to use the restroom and have a cigarette.

If there were no children in the car - and an adult chose to ride along with me then I would smoke - If they dont like it they should have taken their own vehicle or rode with someone else.

In my home I allow smoking in the kitchen dining room and living room areas - Our house is extremely open with high ceilings and alot of air movement. But no smoking in bedrooms, bathrooms, kids play areas etc. I have a hard time enforcing strict no smoking rules in my home as I would force most of my visitors to feel unwelcome as they are chain smokers.

on a side note - My sister in law smokes in her car and her home - she has a 9 year old son - Her ex (and father to the 9 year old) threatened to report her to CPS (child protective services) for smoking in her home. she continues to smoke in her house even after - she is one of the most kind loving and attentive parents I have ever met and threatening to remove her child because she is a smoker is ridiculous.

As long as smoking remains legal I believe smokers should not be treated as second class people nor should people make judgements on their parenting based on weather they smoke around their kids or not. JMHO.