View Single Post
Old 08/03/2007, 05:08 PM
Registered Member

"i don't know exactly what he meant by that but i have heard from a friend in aquaculture at VaTech (who's boss/professor does lots of clam stuff overseas) said that ORA has a patent on the zoox strains they have developed and inoculate with."

I just got off the phone with Dustin Dorton, my friend who's a VP at ORA and is over all the clam stuff they do. He's never heard of anything like this. So I asked if they've got something going on that could be misinterpreted for patenting zoox - his response was that he had no idea where a rumor like that would come from.

There's a farm in Indonesia that I visited that has a patent on a method of culturing zoox, but not a patent on zoox. Maybe that's what you're thinking of...

"It seems you need a lot more research on where Perkinsus damage occures on Giant clams and how it kills the host."

Actually, I've got all the papers regarding perk and clams in my file cabinet, unless something new has come out in the last month or so. What I have says that P. olseni is found in the digestive tract, and P. sp. is found on the mantle. I don't have anything showing it found on the gills of tridacnids. If you do, please post the reference.

"Storm action kicks up sand onto the gills which future aids the clam with removing the protozoans from the clams gills.
think of it as Kleenex for bivalves."

Complete Bullsh*t. Nuf said.

Kalk, I sure wish you'd quit making stuff up - do you ever stop to think that you could really mislead a bunch of hobbyists that don't know better than to not listen to you. This board is to help people.

Post the refs I asked for - or is everything you know "a trade secret" that you somehow are privy to even though you're not a clam farmer?