Thread: how... ug...
View Single Post
Old 02/16/2006, 07:09 PM
Moved On

Sure, it's the norm for selling something to unwitting individuals. How many people out there are dumbstruck when they finout their parrotfish are mutants and hybrids? I'd say most people detest the fact and are upset they bought into it.
Bringing that type of mentality to the saltwater hobby will trivialize it -even more.

Regardless, how you you identifing these corals to species level? Taking coralite samples and comparing them to text? Asking Veron or Borneman for a positive ID? From what I understand, even then it is difficult, neh impossible, to identify most corals down to a species level. How on earth is it to be expected to graft coral together unless they are very closely related? Is the point to graft similar species? similar genera? what's the point?

Sorry to be so negative, but trivializing our hobby just to sell coral is saddening. (which maybe not your main concern, but i am sure Steve Tyree's first ideas were to frag coral and be a pioneer, not rip off people for 1/8" frag of what he got in wholesale for $25.)

Coral is not a plant, thus why call it part of horticulture? hybrids, grafting, and selective breeding is cute, but it is not something we can do to coral. we cant breed to forms (we can't even breed most coral period), and we can't hybridize (that involves breeding), grafting... well im interested in your attemps on a purely scientific level. I would never want to see that type of thing for sale. if you succeed, that's what it will become. thats why your article is on a hobby site where people pay money to buy such things and not in a scientific publication.