Thread: Our Tbs
View Single Post
Old 05/01/2005, 12:51 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by drk70
I guess most of the noise is from the bubbling and gurgling of the water entering the sump. Now the air intake for the skimmer whisltes too.
Dennis, I was really upset at all the noise coming from our sump area also. The gurgling and burbling of the air/water coming down from the tank into the sump drove me nuts. Plus the waterfall noise of the water draining into the sump. Even after putting the pipes underwater, we still had awful noise. This is what the sump looked like with pipes under water. You can see the volume of air that is getting into it. This is what is causing most of the noise.

I did that modification on the overflow noise post and made sure all pipes were under water. That helped tremendously. I also put the pre filter socks back on. That did the trick. Not only did if muffle the rest of the noise from the air, it also eliminated the micro bubbles from getting into the main tank.

As for you whistling noise from the skimmer, I wish I could help there. I know that skimmers take several days to a week or so to break in. You also might want to post on the lighting and filtration forum to see if anyone there can help you. I sure hope you get things worked out because once those noises are gone, you are going to enjoy the heck out of your tank! I know I do, and I was sure I was going to have to wear earplugs for the rest of my life!!

Sally