Thread: Habitattitude
View Single Post
Old 03/15/2005, 01:44 PM
Registered Member

moggyhill

I'm afraid I can't offer much info on them. The guy at my LFS told me about them when I wanted to get some bullfrog spawn which I got a few years back, but has since been made illegal for the reasons we are talking about.

He just told me that the crabs (freshwater) were imported a few years back to add interest to coldwater tanks, but can get agressive towards fancies. So they were released....now apparently they are living all across the country in canals, and waterways, and have hit the native crayfish numbers badly. Sorry I don't have more info :-(

Also, just saw a thing on the news about a ladybird (can't remember what type i'm afraid) which was first spotted last september, and has already hit the native ladybird population as it is devouring all the aphids, and once they run out, it turns cannibal, and eats ladybirds in all their stages.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I fail to see how anybody can dispute the fact that these things go on...

Religion is not the answer, it's the problem!!