View Single Post
Old 01/03/2008, 08:13 PM
Registered Member

Thumbs up 240ish through wall help in a new home

My Wife and I have a wall in our new house that is being built (we closed the Friday after Christmas) that is exactly 2 feet wide, and 11'2" long that my wife and I are wanting to put a reef tank in. We had this designed into our plans, and I would very much like everyones opinion!

First off, I want to spend no more than 10,000.00 on this project- less is more! the standard 240 gallon tank is what I was leaning towards 2 feet wide, 2 feet tall, and 8 feet long. However this measurement can absouletly be changed (except for width!). We want starphire viewing sides so it is going to be a custom tank. We dont watch TV, and so this will be our primary* entertainment in the great room Except when we are surfing, mtn Biking, Fishing, or Scubadiving! the tank will divide the great room and the masterbed room, and will be viewed from BOTH SIDES. My concerns ultimaetly revolve around having a self sustaining system to the fullest extent possible. We want a reef tank, not a fish tank-although my wife insists on having a "nemo" or two.

The challenge lies in the lack of space and that everything must fit inside of the 11'2"X2' wide wall. either above the tank, below the tank, or beside the tank. there is NO room for a fish room! Refuge, ro-di, sump, skimmer, pumps, stored topoff water, EVERYTHING must fit inside this wall! We have discussed tiling the interior of the wall cavity and sealing it completly off from both sides of the house (and attic) due to the ultra high moisture content in such a small space. There is a vent on the roof that will let this wall cavity "breath".

forum member Krazy has a 210 setup and running as seen in this photo~

the gear he has shown here will (I think*) all fit inside the space we have available. (although I am not sure of the width of his tank)

insite, ideas, opinions, lighting options lol I realy would like as much help as I can get. I have been keeping FW tanks since I was 10 or so, and have kept putting off a salt water tank untill I had the resources to pull it off right. I think NOW is the time-

Thanks,

L.R. (Rob Mathews- 352-368-1874 home #)