View Single Post
Old 12/15/2007, 02:04 AM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by corals b 4 bills
OT- hey marc where do you mix your salt water? I have mine in the garage (about 45 at night) I mixed my salt water for three or four days and my electric bill was 50 to 60 more than last month, I know it was the salt container because of the billing cycle on my new bill coencided with my water change. do you have this problem with heating your change out water?
I mix my saltwater in the kitchen's utility room, and I keep my house around 70F this time of year. I've tried 68F to save a few bucks, but I'm just too cold lately. (I need a hottie reefette, I think)

I can't imagine that you heated the saltwater in your garage and that raised the electricity bill by $50 or more. What size heater? I'm sure you can get a pretty good estimate of what that much wattage running (70%?) of the time x kwh would cost you per day.

Even if you did mix it up with a heater, once it is mixed it could cool off until you needed it. A circulation pump would be keep it from freezing, although your garage isn't cold enough for that anyway. And plug the heater in 12 - 24 hours before you'll use the water.