Thread: New prop system
View Single Post
Old 05/14/2006, 02:30 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RRodrigues
[B]2nd prop tank is already filled with NSW and both tanks are now sharing the same sump. As this tank is going to be for hard corals only I'm not sure if sump sharing is good for both. I'm affraid alellopathy could slow growth rates, what do you think?
RRodrigues-
You have built a super nice propagation system. I have been following your thread and would like to thank you for sharing your experience.

Ideally I would want to have seperate systems for the different types on corals. Calfo suggests completely seperate systems for Scleractinians and soft corals in order to avoid exposure to allelopathic compounds especially for coral farming.

On the other hand:
Daniel Knop on soft coral propagation - "If the water turnover for each tank is not too great (the entire tank volume once per hour) and granular activated carbon is used in the bottom tank (sump), it is our experience that the species in one tank will not affect the growth of species in the neighboring tanks."
http://web.archive.org/web/200102111.../2/default.asp

Are you running any activated carbon media in your sump? This may help to reduce the amount of allelopathic compounds in the water escpecially if the system has a slower flow through the two tanks and your sump. You could supplement water movement in the tank that requires the higher flow (top tank?) with some power heads or airlifts.

More frequent water changes may be required especially after producing divisions as some of the Octocorals, Corallimorphs and Zoanthids release many noxious compounds when stressed.