View Single Post
Old 01/25/2006, 03:48 AM
hamster

Float it in the container. Throw in a bit of "food juice". I either put some phytoplankton in or I just drain some of the water that the mysis is in (to thaw my mysis I put a chunk of frozen mysis in a small glass and put some tankwater in with it). The coral will sense this and open up. THEN, and ONLY after polyps have opened up, I toss in the mysis, brine, etc. It would do no good, absolutely no good to feed when the polyps weren't open. Since there is no water movement in the container, you have to get some water movement (with a syringe, baster, etc) to get the food to be carried to polyps by the water itself. Don't have to go too crazy, they're not competing with anything for the food, just get it into suspension and you'd be surprised how even the smallest polyp seems to grab anything that comes in contact with it. Once you've had your fill of water blasting, and the polyps are no longer trying to stuff themselves, remove the colony and place it back in the tank, and take the extra water and food and dump it in the toilet. I find this gives me a wonderful and efficient chance to take my nightly dump. You can throw the mysis/whatever in before or after you do your duty (I recommend after.) Or, if you haven't fed your fish yet, use the extra food for a feeding. This:

1) does not put an excess of food in your system
2) makes sure the polyps get fed as long as you don't tire of the method too early, which in all honestly doesn't take but 15 minutes when you get your colony(ies) used to it
3) gives you an excuse for some "quiet alone time" sitting on the can

I don't see a drawback