View Single Post
Old 02/16/2005, 06:40 PM
You're my boy blue!

I think that a lot of what you said is true, as far as activity, eating, general appearance being signs of healthy fish. But I also think you have to look at the long term affects of some of these "overstocked tanks". Sure they look good for a short time, maybe even a year, but I've yet to see a thread or talked to a hobbyist who has kept one of these extrememly overstocked tanks for very long. I have read countless threads by newbies who put a Yellow Tang in a 29 gallon tank and ask why it's sick or dying? So many, in fact, that I believe they need bigger tanks to live happy lives. Can I say this is a fact, of course not. Do I think I've seen enough bad stories that I know in my mind that it's wrong to keep a tang in a very small tank, absolutely. I think that's part of being responsible in this hobby. You can argue that we can't provide an adequate environment even with the biggest tanks but I don't think that's the issue here. The issue is providing the best habitat to these animals with the available knowledge that we have on them. We are taking them out of there natural habitat for our amusement and if we do this we have a responsibility to take care of them as best we know how. I don't lie to myself and think I am bettering the lives of my fish, I know I'm not, but I do what I can to make them as comfortable as possible while in my care.