View Single Post
Old 12/31/2007, 01:43 PM
Team RC Member

There are exceptions to every rule. I am a treatment plant operator and supervisor by profession though and have been for almost 34 years and I will not use it in my tanks. Tap water changes day to day or even hour to hour, you never know. Say it comes a huge storm with lots of runoff; Treatment changes to meet the conditions. Or say the water main down the street gets hit by a backhoe. You know have dirty possibly contaminated water that you have no control over. Or your utility switches from free chlorine as a residual disinfectant to chloramines or chlorine dioxide. Again you never know and you have no control over it.

I am a firm believer it will catch up to you in time. Water is the single largest ingredient in our systems and one of the few things we CAN control using a simple RO or RO/DI system. Remember everything in your tank depends on that water so why risk corals of fish, even relatively inexpensive soft coral and damsels ? Most of us have way too much invested to even think about adding tap water. For $150+/- you can eliminate that worry.