View Single Post
Old 11/29/2007, 09:38 PM
Registered Member

When I shopped around to buy my current tank (actually the 29 AGA that this current tank replaced), I searched high and low for a stock stand set with a canopy that was tall enough to house halides (i.e.12 inches tall). I don't know if there is a source for these besides the exorbitant though high quality, custom builders, but I didn't find one.

So I built my own. I went for solid 1x12 red oak, and chose a minwax wood finish that would give my canopy a color that was a close match to my stand.

Putting the finish on the canopy doors:

That was a couple of days ago; today I put on the first coat of helmsman spar varnish to protect the wood. Its used for outdoor furniture and the like, so it should protect well. Two more coats of varnish, then I have to attach the doors and the top from my existing (stock) canopy. The reason for the new canopy, obviously is to add a halide to the setup. I have a 250w retrofit with an Icecap MH ballast, and I believe a 20K radium bulb. I also have an Icecap 660 VHO ballast that I'll use for two 24 inch VHO bulbs. Currently, I'm running a URI actinic white in the front, and URI actinic in back. I like the color, so I think I will keep this configuration on the new canopy. So that brings it up to 400 W total for about 12 watts per gallon. Still thinking about the photoperiod, maybe 10-12 h with the VHOs and 4-6 h with the halide later in the day so they will be on when I get home from work.