View Single Post
Old 03/08/2007, 05:42 PM
Premium Member

Um, I think we've lost sight of the original purpose of this post, which was to provide GUIDELINES, especially for newbies. This is a way of condensing all the literature in those dusty books down to a list for the novice and even the intermediate reef keeper.

For example, me, I think I have a lot of knowledge, but I don't have the dedication to feed live food 4x/day or to spend 10 hrs/week on my tank, or even 10 hrs/week on RC researching the endangeredness of the impact on nature of my ordering fish species X or coral species Y. I would love a cheat-sheet that said:

- Do not buy unless you are dedicated and experienced: (list of 10 species)

- Do not buy from these species from these countries until further notice: (list of species, countries on the ****list for poor fishing practices)

- Do not buy these species unless you really hate Mother Earth: (list of 10 or so endangered, threatened species, or species that are symbiotic with or key food source for threatened species that probably should not be in the trade at all)

I would find that helpful even if it were controversial. That way, I could err on the side of being ecologically correct.