View Single Post
Old 05/02/2007, 11:18 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by reefez
Not fully mature for 6 months! Holly cow!! Has anyone found a way to jump start it?
I'm guessing there is just about as much "lab data" supporting the "not fully mature until 6 months theory" as there is supporting whether a RDSB even works in the first place.

Numerous people have followed Anthony's instructions exactly, and posted favorable results in this and the previous thread. Some have also posted less than optimal results. We have no way of knowing if they followed the original instructions or not. Many have suggested tweaking this, adding that, changing this... etc. Then again, some people say it is impossible to keep a "whatever it is" alive in an aqaurium, while many others have good results with the same animal. The difference? Experience? Luck? Who knows!

Personally: 5 gal RDSB started late October 2006; nitrate 10 ppm. Current nitrates: undetectable. I'm sold; won't give it up; no matter what!

My opinion: drop the bucks for new sand, set it up exactly as originally posted by Anthony Calfo, and let us know how it worked!

A little side bar on lab data: I don't have lab data that proves there is enough oxygen in the air in my office to keep me alive, yet here I am! Moral to the story: Sometimes we have to believe what we know from experience, or have seen, even when unable to prove it! And, other times, we simply have to be willing to try something new. Otherwise... same old, same old...