Thread: Rag Tag Nano
View Single Post
Old 04/14/2007, 12:28 PM
Insane Reefer

A little update for a little tank; it seems there is a problem, my corals are growing too fast and with all the overtime I've been doing at work some of the corals being overgrown are suffering. I just don't have the time to prune back some of the growth. Therefore I have to let nature take its course and allow the dominant to flourish while the weaker fall.

I've continued the heavy feeding regime, but still don't have much production from my skimmer. I have to speculate that it isn't any one thing I'm doing, but a number of elements keeping the nutrients so low.

First is the coral growth rate and second I believe would be the two DSB's. The first is aragonite in the tank and a deeper bed of Grey Coast in the sump. The upper DSB has plenty of worms, Nassarius and Ceriths to keep it moving on a microscopic level. In the sump, the lower DSB is absolutely fascinating to watch. The sump is teeming with pods, mysis, flat worms, aptasia (great filter feeders) and so many other life forms that I can watch that longer than the tank itself.

Overall it is still doing so well that I guess I shouldn't feel as bad about the corals that will be taken over. It has been a fun project to observe. I had a rock given to me covered in red flat worms (Planeria) that I hoped to observe in the sump and discover a nice easy natural predator to erradicte the pest. I still have a few high on the glass but along the rubble and within the Cheato they are gone. I apologize to those that were waiting for my findings since I haven't discovered what the solution is; I haven't observed any of the larger white worms I've had in other fuges which are the only sure and safe predator against the red pest.