View Single Post
Old 03/23/2007, 05:52 PM
Rare Clownfish Freak

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Popeil
ok, first water change done in day old fry tank. i didnt understand why anyone would need to make that siphon/filter thing described in wilkersons book...until today. there are just so many tiny tiny fry. i did my best to remove all of the dead fry and eggs, naturally sucking up a bunch of living ones in the process. i used an eye dropper to replace them as best i could. after that, i set in my 53 micron sieve container and just siphoned water directly out of that. i added rotifers and some isochrysis to start them off.- -
Take a piece of rigid air line and put a section of nice air line (you know the nice flexible kind) and use that to spot siphon. It is very easy to stop the flow if you do get one, and reverse it to flush them out, then start sucking again.

And yes, using the sieve is an excellent way to do water changes. I also would use it to sieve/defuse the replacement water.

If you get to the point where you are going to get really serious about raising these, send me a PM and I will share a rearing system design that may save you some time and head ache.