View Single Post
Old 03/07/2007, 01:49 PM
Registered Member

I had a similar Aiptasia infestation in my own 90 gallon reef. I have used Joe's Juice, Copperbands, Berghia and finally peppermint shrimp. For the size of the tank and in terms of ease as well as cost, nothing worked better than the peppermint shrimp. I had avoided them at first b/c I hate the way they look, but hands down were the best. Within 4 months they had eaten all the aiptasia... and there was a LOT of aiptasia (I'm talking many hundreds...the rockwork was COVERED). Please keep in mind that I have no fish, only coral, and I believe that this allowed the shrimp free access to the entire tank. I believe that the more fish you have, the more you regulate your shrimp to a specific niche in your tank (resulting in slower aiptasia eradication, or perhaps hardly any at all).

Joe's Juice: Great for the big ones. Impractical otherwise.

Copperband: In my experience, not a hardy fish (i've read this too). Mine died after 3 months, but he did eat aiptasia.

Berghia: I loved these guys! Better suited for a small tank, IMO. In a <1 gallon jar I had them eating aiptasia and reproducing. I put them in the display to battle the aiptasia but never saw them again. They are very good at eating aiptaisia, despite their size. I would recommend them to advanced hobbyists.

Just my experience. Would welcome any comments on my post, positive or negative.

TAG