Thread: Tiny Maxima
View Single Post
Old 03/07/2007, 02:34 AM
Registered Member

i disagree, do you mind showing me where?

Quote from article:
Quote:
Survival and growth of veligers and juveniles with zooxanthellae was greater than those without zooxanthellae. Juveniles with zooxanthellae can survive and grow in Millipore-filtered seawater with light as the sole energy source for over 10 months, illustrating the phototrophic aspect of the association.
This article does not tell what lighting they used. They said zoox was key, so those stessed by transport or other stressors that have lost zoox will be at a severe disadvantage, nothing we didn't know. I would like to know how many clams they lost while trying to grow them out in filtered water. The article only shows they "CAN" survive, it does not imply that is how they should be raised.

lighting has improved since then. we still cant place the sun over our tanks but i always recommend intense, full spectrum light.

That was my point. The information was dated and the technology was limited when phyto advice was being handed out.

because one says that clams can sustain themselves on light alone doesnt mean they don't or wont filter feed.

Agreed

its not a cost thing, the food is already there.

Not in the quality or quantity it could be with occasional supplimental feedings. We have already learned that corals do better with supplimental feeding, why go backwards with clams?

this all go's back to an article that was written that claimed if you don't feed clams"phytoplankton" they will die, this is untrue.
this article also claimed that clams "only"eat phytoplankton, this is also not true.

Again agree fully. That is the problem with hobbies, there is no regulation on what gets printed and little research is done before an oppinion becomes gospel.