View Single Post
Old 03/06/2007, 03:47 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by the other tang
..... I have never smelled that when the rsdb was running only after sitting static for over a week. I believe the effects of just taking it off line are unknown, but it sounds like a fairly big change if it's been running a while. The change might be much better though than the effects of the sulphur.

when a DSB start going bad there is a strong sulphur / rotten egg smell that occurs before the big crash. so there is time to remove the RDSB form the loop before it crashes, as long as you catch it

with the sudden removal there would definitely be a huge spike in nitrates, depending on your system. when i first put my RDSB online ( a year ago ) my nitrates were holding strong @ 20ppm. since then i have at least doubled my bioload and i had my worst nitrate spike ( last weekend ) of 1 ppm. this was totally my fault, i missed last months water change . i think the nitrates could be controlled with water changes until another RDSB could be set up and cycled though.