View Single Post
Old 02/11/2007, 03:07 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Racso
Then the collecting of cleaner wrasses drops, leaving the balance on reefs alone. Then we could restock reefs with these animals where they are in small numbers.
Ive yet to see or hear of any hobbiest restocking the reefs with their own livestock, and I heard that it was illegal to do so. I think the main problem with the decline of species in the ocean is due to overfarming, poor fishing practices, weather, and so on. This all comes full circle to us. Most of the specimens we keep come from 3rd world countries that pay chump change to the locals to go out and harvest their reefs for livestock. I have heard from other distributors that only 10% of the fish collected actually make it to our aquariums and that 90% of the fish for sale are caught from the wild. The responsibility lies with us. The distributors would not be selling us livestock that we didnt keep buying. I am guilty as so many others of buying livestock without knowing its requirements or having the proper set up for them. Its been made clear that most pet stores will sell you anything even while knowing you cant care for it because they know you'll be back for more!! I think this thread has very good intentions but I think it should focus on how to keep specimens instead of what not to keep. It can be argued as to what to put on a "don't keep list" but no one will have a problem with an informative thread on "how to keep". Thats why I think RC is so successful. Ok Im done talking.