View Single Post
Old 01/26/2007, 05:14 AM
Registered Member

Matt you did get what i typed right the second time round, the cross gets the best of the perc (colour) and ocellaris (barring), with only one side effect being the aggression of a perc (nasty fish).

There is a slightly different situation in OZ than the US, here bright orange ocellaris are few and far between and certianly not the ones in current breeding efforts. And yes the colour fed ocellaris do come up to the colour of the crosses, but the crosses get the colour with no help at all, they are naturally that colour.

As for if they change the rules about brood stock collection, i would first off see it coming and i also maintain pure ocellaris and pure perc breeders and if it was banned i would probably break the rules.

I personally think its a case of personal morals, for me keeping a pure breed line of orchids (when i manage to rear them) is important because the supply of them could easily dry up, especially if breeders can meet local demand (not unforseable) therefore crossing dottybacks could be very risky.

I understand what you mean about african cichlids, but in that case evolution of different species is fairly profuse, and the subtle differences are the definition of a species, i think it is also easier for the layman to breed them than it is a clownfish, so by virtue of that cross breeds will never take over as much and will require a huge increas ein people breeding clownfish specifically to have any real effect.

Christian