Thread: Book
View Single Post
Old 12/16/2006, 01:06 PM
Registered Member

He also completely avoided the fact that they can absorb nitrogen and claimed that ALL clam deaths are due to starvation (ridiculous).

BTW - I've got a copy of the paper he cited that talks about the "small mantle" problem - and it actually says exactly the opposite. The authors found that zoox numbers are HIGHEST per gram of tissue in small clams and decrease with age.

Yeah, not hard to figure out what's going on there...

Unfortunate, as I used to have a lot of respect for Shimek - until I checked all his cited references. I've been writing for about 8 years now and will be the first to admit that I've unintentionally said things that were wrong (typically by repeating something I learned elsewhere that was wrong - without double checking the facts myself), but in Shimek's case it's either total incompetence, or intentional. And he's not an idiot...

I should thank him though - the "mis-information" in those articles and elsewhere is one the primary reasons I felt compelled to write the book.

P.S. To ICURN, and anyone else that visits Tampa, I'm always up for grabbing some food and beer. Drop me a line and I'll try to make the time.