View Single Post
Old 12/14/2006, 12:06 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 69vette
I would think twice about putting the bottom on a "cushy surface". You dont want the bottom to be able to move.

I've drawn up plans to build an "L" tank just like this in my basement. The stand will be built in permanently. I'm planning on using 2 peices of glass for the bottom and siliconing them to the plywood top of the stand. This would ensure no movement and guarantee that the seam would never leak. A lap peice would be a good idea if for nothing else but piece of mind.
I think siliconing the bottom pieces to the plywood might be a scary idea Bob. I agree that it would ensure the bottom wouldn't leak but there are other things to consider. The idea of having some flex is for the advantage it gives during assembly. In a regular rectangular tank all of the glass pieces have to be perfectly square so the corners are flush. That requirement is compounded with the more sides that are required on an "L" tank. So my thought was allowing SOME minimal movement in the bottom DURING the assembly would better accommodate the assembly of the sides. And like I said the third lap piece joint would be added after the sides have cured.

And this is probably the most important part, consider the expansion rate differences between plywood and glass. Some expansion and contraction is going to happen and if the glass is secured too tightly to the plywood, stress fractures may happen. This could easily transfer to the side panels as well. A cushy surface under the tank allows for movement resulting from house settling, seismic events, and temperature changes.

Again just some more thoughts for discussion. I'd like to hear from someone that has built one of these. I know Acrylic would be more forgiving but baby I want GLASS!