View Single Post
Old 11/28/2006, 09:12 PM
Member Registered

Just to clarify there are three types.
Wild (doesn't need description)
Aquaculture - 100% of the coral you are getting should be grown in captivity.
Mariculture - Grown in the wild but under the control of man.

The Mariculture corals are more prone to paristies than the wild ones because they don't live on the reefs where a lot of the parisite predators would otherwise eat them. Parisites seem to flourish on the Mariculture corals. Most of this doesn't matter because we should all be running a QT anyway. If you don't QT you will get parasites no matter which of the above has them more often.

Quote:
Originally posted by hitekfreak
my personal experience, the wild caught need a lot of directional flow to survive and yes, it has 50% while cultured has 75%-100%.
I don't know the exact statistic but you are close. If every hobbiest saw how many of the corals die on the way to the wholesalers we would have a lot more people buying aquaculture. Especially Acros. I hate going to the wholesalers when they get an Acro shipment.

Quote:
Originally posted by twon8
also, wild caught what? acros? monti?

i would be much more comfortable buying a wild monti or birdsnest than i would a wild acro.
Birdsnests are terrible shippers as well. A lot of those die on the way to the wholesalers.

Quote:
Originally posted by RichConley
I've bought a couple wild caught colonies, and I generally bust a couple frags off as soon as I get them. THe frags always survive, the colonies, I've had some trouble with. I think some of them are just too dense to get adaquate flow.
It all depends on the type of Acro you get. I would never buy an Acro. hycincthys or similar. Probably like 95% of those types dye in captivity. On the other hand thin branched acros like loisette do great. You just have to have enough flow for the corals you get. Knowledge is the key. You can't keep every Acro in the same conditions.