View Single Post
Old 11/10/2006, 10:00 AM
Registered Member

Well, I attempted to drill the center of the MJ magnet in order to make the hole more centered. It was a futile attempt. I ended up breaking the magnet in two pieces. That really jacked me off since I don't have a spare laying around. This project is starting to cost just as much as a couple of SEIO 1500's. (as most DIY projects do) Though I think that If I can get these to work silent, I'll be better off than with the SEIO's anyhow. Restart problems, and just the general expence if a coil burns out make the MJmod a better option... If I can get it working to my expectations and don't have to fiddle with it every 2 weeks.

Anyhow, I epoxyed the magnet back together (It's probably stronger now than it was before) and I need to wait for it to cure and I will drill the center for the shaft, and carefully epoxy the CF tube directly on the top of the magnet. It should be fine as long as I am very careful to get the whole thing centered just so.

Has anyone found a source for tubular magnets like this. It would be nice to not have to buy the whole MJ impellor assembly when a dummy like me decides to go medieval on the magnet.

OK, next thought. Who thinks that the shrowds on the MJmods are entirely too long? I think that the longer the shaft, the less tolerant this mod is for errors in balance and centering. So I had thought after making the one I am working on now at a standard length, I would try to make a new shrowd about 1/2 the size of the large ones that come with the 1200 MJmods. I know that the smaller shrowd may limit flow a bit, and I am definitely going to have to increase the size of the inlet slots, but a shaft and propellor assembly that is 1/2 the length should be much more stable. That's my theory anyhow.

-J