View Single Post
Old 11/10/2006, 08:45 AM
Reef God

Brain,

The keys seem like a good backup plan, but a little slower/harder to get in fast than the speednut.

I don't want to use the pulley system for two reasons, one there's nothing above the hood to mount the pulleys to and I can't put it in the hood because I want the lights to raise up right against the hood. Second, I don't want the lights to "swing" and the threaded rod will keep them nice and stable.

Now here's the second question.... How can I make it so that I can change the horizontal placement of the lights over the 6' tank. I have a center brace in the middle, so 3 lights aren't an option. I was thinking a slit horizontally across the tank, but I'm not sure what that will do to the strength of the top piece, not to mention I don't want the light spilling into the room.... although I guess I could stop that with some felt/fibers that block out the light but let the rod pass. Maybe that is the best way... the horizontal slot would only need to be about a foot and wouldn't have to go all the way across the hood, so should still be strong enough.

Nick