View Single Post
Old 09/25/2006, 12:33 PM
Registered Member

phosphate drops can IMO cause some problems....just not due to a rise in nitrate because of a lowering of phosphate...first i am not even sure(and i dont believe it will) that if phosphates are lowered through a GFO that there is some mechanism missing to convert nitrate...there wont be a nitrate rise and the lowering of phosphate wont even be the cause

only problem with lowering phosphate to fast and this is a fact....it can cause accelerated growth in stony corals...thus cause a precipitation of calcium carbonate and thus a lowering of the alk.....this lowering of ALK is what causes the RTN...in some cases it can be severe lowering....

i just started using my TLF phosban reactor with 150g's of phosban media 1 week ago and the ALK dropped from 9.15 to 8/8.15...a full DKH!! and that is without any corals in the tank!!!! so you must be careful...i bet if my tank was full of ACROS s we would have been seeing come RTN or STN this week...but luckily im not the dummy making big changes after i get corals but do it before

by the way my ALK stayed constant by dripping kalk and nothing was changed but the GFO added to tank....i can safely and 100%positiviely say that the phosban use in the reactor caused this ALK swing...i dont know if 1 dkh is that bad considering it took it 6.5 days to do so...but anyhow it illustrates the dangers of GFO's particularly for someone who already has their tank stocked

i think the theory brought up in the original post is false...i am gonna ask Randy even though i know he is going to agree with me