View Single Post
Old 08/13/2006, 06:44 PM
Premium Member

Hi all,
thanks again for your nice words.
No problem on being in controversial discussion, I am not taking this too personally.
There will always be different views and thats fine.

NanoCube-boy,
coming back to your question one page prior to this, regarding GFCI and feeding.
The GFCI is simply a module, which is placed in the (in Germany) usual fuse-cabinet.
(There are also some included in special power-cords).
In Germany there is a technical regulation, that GFCI is to be placed in bathroom-circuilts in all newly built houses.
The GFCI compares the power entering the circuilt, with that leaving; if they differ more than 30mA, the circuilt is interrupted.

I am feeding 3 times a day frozen food (Mysis/Artemia) and 2 times flakes/pellets with an autofeeder. I never had problems with the Powderblue, due to the high feeding amount for
the Anthias it got really fat.

Nexdog,
you're right, there was no way of migrating the systems slowly.
So we set up the new system separately, but having in mind that it should cycle quickly.
I did huge waterchanges in the old system over some month and stored the water together
with some stones in big, airated containers.
The LR was precycled at the importer in a rinsing/shower system.
LR was driven overnight to my house, put into the tank which was filled half with water from
my old tank and other half with one month stored, new water.
Living sand was also added that day.
NH4 was never detectable, NO2 gone after 3 days, NO3 gone after 4-5 days.
There where Silicate and Phosphate absorbers in the water from day 1.
After one week (no NH4,NO3,NO2 anymore), hermits and snails were added.
After two weeks, I began with bringing coral into the system.
We trusted in bringing relatively large amount of coral in, relatively early;
coral being nutrient competitor to algae.
After another week, still no NH4,NO2,NO3,PO4 etc. first algae eating fish was added.
After another week, the rest was added (Anthias later).

Water parameters where fine all time, but I was in fear that algae growth etc. would harm
coral, but Michael wasn't far away, having enough room to take them if needed.
The big algae bloom did not happen, only some diatoms, which went away really fast due to
the Silicate absorbers and some hair-algae, which was eaten by the foxface/seabunny etc..
Having an emergency backup (Michael;-) at hand, I would do it that way again.
Of course this method is not to be used by someone, setting up his/her first reef ;-).

Thanks for asking,
Ralf