View Single Post
Old 08/02/2006, 09:48 PM
Registered Member

Well, everyone's entitled to there opinion, I have talked to many peope who do it. It is a huge thing in Germany, every one does it. The reason why no one does it here is because first, nobody knows about and secondly people say, "There might be bad effects in the long run" No one is exactley sure of how it is in the long run. Posted above somewhere says that the skimmer doesn't skim out the bacteria, the bacteria convert the nitrogen to nitrogen gas. It is true about the bacteria converting nitrate to nitrate gas, but the reason why it lowers nitrates very fast is becasue the bacteria eat the nitrate, and by assing sugar it might make your tank cloudy for a day. The cloudy water is from all the bacteria. First the skimmer will go nuts and it will clear up because the bacteria is removed from the water. The way I think of it is I think it's better to add the sugar rather than have my nitrates of the charts. The 0 nitrates with the sugar is probably healthier for the fish. I have not only used this method but I have tested it. The only corals I had were mushrooms, I hade all the fish that I have now, I got 1 heaping teaspoon of sugar and added it every day for 3 days. I could not see anything in the tank for a day or two. Then my skimmer went crazy and it would clear up. Everything was fine and doing great.