View Single Post
Old 07/28/2006, 12:51 AM
Registered Member

Strange but true:

We recently had a 24 plus hour power outage here in Detroit as well. My dad (who has cancer) has a "spare" medical grade oxygen tank. After checking with everyone FAR in advance to the outage, I found that medical grade O2 is basicly a mild nitrous oxide/air blend that contains NO harmful fillers (like sulfer etc) and when I asked his doctor what he thought of using the regulated tank as an "emergency saltwater fish survival tool", he walked me over to his pump closet where he showed me his air stones, splitters, and a medical grade O2 bottle on a stand. His reply, "What do you think I use if the power goes out?" By the way, he's got a 300 gallon reef in his office, and so does my chiropractor! If both of them have medical grade O2 as backups, I figured it's the way to go.

So, sure enough, bad T-storm, power out, in came the O2 bottle and the air stones. To circulate, I picked up a simple AA battery opperated hang on the side type low velocity powerhead at my local LFS. I hung it, hit the on switch, set the O2 regulator to 1 (lowest setting), walked away. 24 hours later, no losses, tank didn't notice anything was wrong at all. I also put a mirror up in the bay window and directed some ambient light into the room during the daylight hours, more than enough to suffice for the short term.

If anyone has access to medical O2, it's recommended for use as an emergency backup by those who prescribe it!

Tim