Thread: Mimic octopus
View Single Post
Old 07/01/2006, 07:30 PM
Registered Member

"Remember also, that researchers may only be spending the majority of their time in one area and that this species is relatively widespread though perhaps not common, so while its numbers may be declining based on less frequent observations in the field in one area, it doesn't mean this is happening over its entire range of distribution. So it would more accurate to say it may be LOCALLY threatened."

I agree completely. Our impressions are completely site-biased. I base my opinions on Lembeh mainly because that's where they were discovered, that's where most are sighted, and lthat's where I've seen all but one in the wild. CDelbeek is right that mimics and wunderpus are widespread, and we have no idea how abundant they are. In many places (including Lembeh) their soft-bottom habitat is trawled, and it can be threatened by reclaimation (who cares- it's just mud, right?)- by a long shot the aquarium trade isn't its only threat. If they may be declining in their best site, then what about the others? Are these just natural recruitment booms and busts we're seeing (after all, W and M were only first discovered less than 20 years ago)? Sightings elsewhere appear to be rare. This may be a sampling error- Lembeh is one of the (if not the single) most popular muck dive sites around. Or this may be because they really aren't abundant in other places.

The bottom line is, we still have a lot to learn about their populations, so let's hold off until we know more.

Regardless of their population, wunderpus makes a really boring and delicate pet.